International Senior Labour Economist (Skills)
Prospera is looking for an experienced and capable Senior Labour Economist (Skills). The Adviser will have expertise in labour markets, education policy (with a focus on higher education) and be adept at developing strong relationships with government officials and the private-sector. In one of the world’s largest labour markets (Indonesia) adapting to the changing nature of work, this role is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of new policy development.
The Labour Economist (Skills) will leverage Prospera’s existing networks with government and private sector partners (and develop new ones) to identify and introduce reforms that:
• allow the labour market to function more effectively, allocating labour to areas of demand; and
• create a business environment in which the private sector can satisfy demand for new and emerging skills in line with the rapid changes playing out in the Indonesian economy.
The Adviser will work closely with Prospera teams including Markets, Economics and Inclusion, Gender and Social Inclusion and Public Sector.
Please copy paste this link to access the Terms of Reference detailing responsibilities and selection criteria:
About you (Selection Criteria)
The candidate will possess strong qualifications and experience in the following areas:
• Bachelor’s or Graduate (preferred) degree in economics, with a focus on labour markets.
• Strong experience at a senior level (at least 10 years) undertaking economic analysis and providing national level policy advice in the area of skills development and labour market reform.
• Deep understanding of the processes and policies that drive human capital formation in emerging markets, and their gender and social dimensions, with a focus higher education, adult learning and private sector investment in training.
• Proven track record of working with government officials – and engaging with other stakeholders (e.g., private sector and trade unions) in formulating national-level policy.
• Experience working on labour market issues in emerging markets with a large informal sector is desirable.
• Excellent written communication skills and fluency in English (written and oral) including advocacy and presentation skills.
About the program
Prospera is a partnership facility between the Government of Australia (through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and the Government of Indonesia. It aims to foster strong, sustainable and inclusive economic growth in Indonesia. Commencing from 1 March 2018, Prospera is a planned five-year investment that draws together the former Government Partnership Fund (GPF) and Australia Indonesia Partnership for Economic Governance (AIPEG). Prospera will be responsive to the needs of a wide range of agencies in the Indonesian government, covering six engagement areas:
(i) Markets – improving product and factor market efficiency;
(ii) Finance – delivering financial stability and development;
(iii) Spending – improving the quality, delivery efficiency, and access to public services;
(iv) Revenue – mobilising revenues without unduly impeding private activity;
(v) Public Sector Reform – strengthening economic institutions; and
(vi) Economics & Inclusion – providing analysis to boost the evidence for economic policy.
The remuneration will be set according to ARF Discipline Group C, Job Level 3. The remuneration level at which the Senior Labour Economist (Skills) is engaged will be based on the successful candidate’s relevant skills and experience.
How to apply
We welcome your interest in joining the Prospera team. Apply by sending your resume and covering letter (which will include a response to the selection criteria (max 3 pages)), with the reference number #043 Senior Labour Economist. Please click on this link for application: https://clientapps.jobadder.com/41217/cardno/3452281. Applications must be received by 5pm (Jakarta time) on Friday, November 11, 2019. Applications not containing a response to the selection criteria may not be considered.
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Notice to recruitment agencies: Please note that Cardno does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or recruitment agencies.